flow these methods

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Educating Our Children About the Results of Sexual Intercourse

As a mother, grandmother and experienced nurse in various areas of the medical field, I can't help but wonder why the children in our society today either know too much about sexual intercourse or not enough. As I was growing up, my mother explained to me about a girl having her periods and what to expect but she never explained to me about the feelings that I would have when I fell in "love" and had those "want to" feelings. My mother taught me much in my life time and at 89 she is still teaching me a lot but when I was a teenager she never taught me what happened to a boy/man when he was aroused and what to expect. All she told me was "don't let that boy put his hands in your pants". She never told me NOT to let him put anything else in my pants.

As I have said in another article many people even very young folks go to the forums or Yahoo Answers to get help. I feel it is a shame that parents don't take the time to explain more about the facts of life but just assume their children know and give their daughters birth control pills rather then teaching abstinence. Woe to us today if we teach our children not to have intercourse before marriage.

Some parents want to know how to take to their children about sex. I found with my boys and my 10 yr old granddaughter that just explaining it as we know what it is. Tell the girls that boys have a penis, explain what an erection is, tell your daughters what to expect when a boy comes on to her and that she does NOT have to do anything just because he says " if you love me you'll let me." I assume that boys still use that line. Also we should teach our boys to respect girls and that our daughters should not be so will to loose their virginity. If they don't know what virginity means, then explain it. It seems that parents don't know how to be adults these days. It is in my opinion that it is time for parents to take charge and tell our children the truth about intercourse plain and simple.

If your child, your daughter were to come to you at any age and tell you that she were pregnant who would you blame? Would your child feel comfortable to come and tell you anything? We love our children unconditionally so why shouldn't your child feel as though she could come to you and tell you anything? I have read too many times that a young girl thought she was pregnant, but couldn't go to her parents and talk to them. I have read where a young girl had said she had not even been with a boy but had been masturbating and wanted to know could she get pregnant that way. Something does not compute here. Children are not being educated about how to get pregnant. Parents are assuming their children know, or are expecting someone else to teach them about sexual intercourse and the consequences of these actions.

I wonder if parents explain to their children about sexually transmitted diseases. It's one thing to put daughters on birth control but is it explained that anyone having intercourse can contract a sexually transmitted disease? Condoms is not a means of protecting our sons or our daughters. Abstinence is the only way to keep our children safe from pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases. I believe that if we explain all there is to know about sex, the feelings, what happens to males, what can happen should intercourse take place then we would have less diseases and unwanted pregnancies. Of course they come to an age that we can't do anything about what they do but at least it could be said that they were taught about the consequences.

Parents should not be afraid to talk to their children about such a serious subject and children should not be afraid to go to their parents and tell them of any problem they might have. Our children are gifts from God, the least we can do it to teach them right from wrong, love them unconditionally and even if both parents work, take the time to show them, love them and teach them. There could come a day when you find yourself looking at the grave of your child, just because you did not take the time to teach your precious child about some of the dangers of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment