flow these methods

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Breakup Quotes That Stick Around (Long After the Love is Gone)

When I went through my first breakup I would just get annoyed at sites like this that tried to tell me how to feel. They'd tell me that I wasn't alone, that somebody out there is having a worse breakup and that I was going to be okay and look, here's some breakup quotes that'll help! *Frustration* It was so annoying, partly because I was so vulnerable at the time. And who cares if somebody else's breakup is bad, I'm feeling my breakup right now, not theirs!

Well, the sappy breakup quotes were the worst because, frankly, the last thing I need when I'm down in the dumps is more sadness thrown at me. So once in a while I'd come across a funny quote, like Rita Rudner saying "I love to shop after a bad relationship. I don't know. I buy a new outfit and it makes me feel better. It just does. Sometimes I see a really great outfit, I'll break up with someone on purpose," and laugh my tooshie off. It really helped, and it made me feel...sunnier somehow. Like I was strolling along a pavement admiring a dress in a shop.

Because that's part of what you need when you're this sad - some kind of perspective. And good breakup quotes, real breakup quotes can help do that. They give you perspective when you're down in the deep, deep well of newly-dumped sadness. They empower you because you know the man or woman who is saying what they're saying has been through some serious stuff, and if they were around they'd smile kindly at you and tell you to get on with it. Like Will Rogers, who'd say, "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

And of course, the extremely perceptive and anonymous breakup quote "My biggest fear is that one day we will pass each other on the streets and have an artificial conversation." Extremely apt. It has happened in the past and is almost physically nauseating. And most of us have gone through the near-obsessive admiration of somebody who turns out to be pretty different than how we thought they were. John Mayer (the prettiest of love-boys around) sang "Who do you love, me or the thought of me?"

Probably you get a little more cynical, or realistic, as you get on with life and time and love and then the quote "You don't die from a broken heart - you only wish you did" makes more sense, as does "Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

My favorite has to be "For all those men who believe there's no reason to buy the cow when you can get the milk for free: currently 80% of women are against marriage too as they have wised up to the fact that for 7 ounces of sausage it's not worth buying the whole pig." Empowering no?

And this is just the start of getting over the breakup and getting ready to move on and even getting your ex back. Breakup quotes like this aren't specific to only breakups, but they do give the necessary perspective to put your current situation in some kind of manageable framework. And of course, there's much more perspective to be had if you're looking to just move on or get back with your ex.

No comments:

Post a Comment