flow these methods

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dear Pepsi (A Goodbye Letter)

This is a hard letter to write, but it must be done. I have loved you with an unfailing love so much of my life. You have been my constant companion on good days and bad days. You have been a faithful friend, always there to lift my spirits and make the pain go away. You were the one who was there when no one else was around. In the midst of the days that were filled with turmoil or emptiness you were my refuge. I would reach for you and you would always be there for me. After just a few moments in your presence, I would feel better and forge ahead with whatever had to be done. People have never understood our relationship, but I want to offer my deepest and heartfelt thanks for making many lonely, stressful and hard days bearable. I don't want to give you up. I don't. I'm not sure I feel like I CAN give you up, but I am writing this letter in hopes that you will understand why I have to take this step and that you will let me go. We both knew that we had to face this day. I have dreaded it for so long. But if you care for me at all, love me enough to let me go and help me on my journey of health, wholeness and wellness.

I've tried to give you up before. You know that. You stood patiently waiting, giving me my space, always knowing that I would return to you. I would go three months or six months without you, but somewhere inside there was a spot that only you seemed to be able to fill. When we'd get back together after being apart, it would be awkward at first, but after a while it felt as though I had never left you. We've been on this yo-yo relationship for at least five years now and I must choose Water instead. I have to choose to be in a relationship with someone that is good for me and who will contribute to me living a long and healthy life. But I love you so. I hate to give you up, but it has to be done.

For so long you were the one thing I had in my life that made me feel good. I could count on you to always be there for me. I really didn't want to have to ever give you up. The thought of doing it still makes me feel empty inside and I wonder how I will make it without you during the tough days that may lie ahead of me. At this moment, it feels like it will be a hard task to accomplish. It seems so unfair that I must make the choice to give up something that means this much to me. But to have life the way I want it, I must give it up the way it is.

Thank you for your faithfulness, for your patient understanding and for giving me much much more than I ever expected. As I write this I realize that I may have been using you as a crutch in my life. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry so please forgive me. I was just doing the best I could. I see you watching me right now as I write this. You are sitting on my desk looking me squarely in the eye. You are standing tall and looking sharp, dressed in my favorite colors of cobalt blue and red. I sure hope that the new person in my life can fill your shoes and make me feel as good as you.

Thank you for caring for me and loving me and being ever present in my life. Thanks for being there when it counted. You will be hard to replace, but I am sure that women are waiting in line for you just like I was. Don't feel neglected by the ones who have chosen champagne and wine over you. What I loved about you was that you never changed my state of mind, but you did have an addicting love.

Pepsi, I must say goodbye. You may never know how much you meant to me. I will miss you so much, but the time has come when I must stand tall and come out of hiding. I have to get out and live my life and be active and become the woman I am called to be. I have to move about freely and lightly. Although people have never understood our relationship, I do. I don't care what "they think", I am not influenced by them. Don't ever think that I was. This is a choice I had to make for myself. Somewhere in our hearts we both knew it would have to come to this. We will not be together, but I will always speak lovingly and kindly about you. I hope you'll do the same for me. You were there for me and I appreciate that so very much.

The next time you see me you may not recognize me, because I am going to give Water a try. He has pursued me and pursued me and I have never shown interest in him. However, we both know that he is a much better match for me and will take very good care of me. He'll take some getting used to. I've always felt he was such a "plain" kind of guy, but he is sure and steady and is ready to commit to me and you never were. When we see each other we may not speak, but we will always remember what we were to each other. If you love me, don't come after me; let me give my new life a try.
I'm counting on you to understand me and to be rooting for my success in the new chapter of my life.
You were my hero and I once loved you for it, but Water is ready to sweep me off my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment